Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Wet and Miserable Day

It is early afternoon and I am sat here watching the rain fall endlessly from the sky. It is like being back in Scotland.

I went part time at work in July and as I was getting ready for the Edinburgh Fringe I had not thought about what I am actually going to do with my time.

I went part time primarily so I could travel to gigs and after getting back at 3 in the morning not get up 3 hours later for work. This was a bold a sensible plan but that will not start having an effect for a few weeks yet due to how my diary has worked out.

So instead I have been writing. I am just getting into the swing of writing as disciplined, scheduled activity. I have never done it before so I have been aiming for one hour per day to begin with. Yesterday went very well with a new routine and some disparate gags I shall throw into my set. All written to the background harmonies of the people at the library

Norwich is a small pond but there a few places I can get stage time. However, as it is so small I have decided that all the open mic gigs I do in Norwich now I shall be doing new material at. My intention is to come up with a useable new minute per week.

There is a dreadful pressure for people to write an hour-long show within their first few years doing stand-up. I do not know where it comes from as there are no agents saying you must have an hour before we will look at you. It seems to be a cultural meme which has sprung up on the open-mic circuit.

I have a few ideas for shows spanning my interests from science-fiction, to martial arts to disappointment but I shall be not be doing anything with them until I am happy I have a 4**** show.

Back to the library then.

No comments:

Post a Comment